Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Where's the camera?




Reading what my mother wrote about our little week together... I began really thinking, changing. Her words nearly brought me to tears. It's everything I've meant to say, but haven't gotten as far as learning the words to express it with. She's just so talented. And she says she wants to be me when she grows up??

But she's right...about everything... The streams, the lights, the trees...the hills, the river, the narrow, winding roads..the memories. We kept saying... "Let's take more pictures!" "More pictures!" "Get the camera!" "Where's the camera?" "Just tell me to stop the car when you see something good.." And yet... we managed to get distracted in one way or another causing us to end up with only goofy pictures of us eating, or unexpecting...and videos of us singing to songs we don't know, and pretending like we know how to dance....But above all, left us with the bittersweet knowledge that it's our secret memories, no photograph could capture.

Her writing that...was just the little push I needed to get out of my own "withdrawl"...
" 'I have done that,' says my memory. 'I cannot have done that' -- says my pride, and remains adamant. At last -- memory yields." --Nietzsche
"We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.....
......There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom...." --Anais Nin
"Then, without realizing it, you try to improve yourself at the start of each new day; of course, you achieve quite a lot in the course of time. Anyone can do this, it costs nothing and is certainly very helpful. Whoever doesn't know it must learn and find by experience that a quiet conscience makes one strong." --Anne Frank
"If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them." --Mohandas K. Ghandi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.