Monday, January 15, 2007

Sad....

Something I find rather sad...
My youngest step sister stopped by the kitchen to get something to eat and told me she was watching a "Texas Roadhouse" marathon. So I asked this...rather young girl...if she reall ought to be watching a show like that.
Now, I've never actually seen the show, I've just heard things about it.
Anyway, she proceeded to defend the supposed acceptability for a girl of her age to watch a series like that. One line that sticks out in my mind, "Oh, but there's nothing bad in it. Like nobody getting raped or anything" "Oh?" "Well, I mean...there are some murders...but that's not that bad, and some of them are on accident." ....WHA? Are you trying to tell me, that someone killing another person isn't just as bad as someone raping a person? Someone killing someone else isn't as bad as say... lying?
Honestly speaking...Killing is just as bad, if not worse than a rape. AND in any case, they are both terrible! I don't know who on earth would tell a child that killing is "not that bad"......She's completely desensitized to death, violence, murder, racism, killing, war, rape, insanity, torture, to the extent that it hardly fazes her. Which could possibly be useful if she ever decides to become the most lonely, yet best soldier later in life....but I don't think that's her life goal.
It's just kind of sad.....these things.....just sad.
"Every revolutionary ends up either by becoming an oppressor or a heretic."--Albert Camus
"A sobering thought: what if, at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential?"-- Jane Wagner
"If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all. And so today I still have a dream." --'The Trumpet of Conscience'-Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments: