Saturday, September 22, 2007

Sweet songs




A couple mornings ago, I was sitting on my front porch. To my right, the sun rising, to my left, abundant trees. I was listening to the various songs of the birds...watching them dance and flit across the ssky, the way they communicate, the way they move, the way everything comes together just right allow them to float on the wind.




So I was sitting there on my porch...and out of nowhere, a crow lands on the porch railing in front of me. This is unusual, because there aren't many crows out in the open here. She just sat there and stared at me with her dark brown eye. I was wondering what she was thinking, what she was trying to convey, if anything.




Suddenly another landed on the railing just next to her. This is even more unusual, I thought, because it is not even mating season. Anyway... he hobbled over to her and puffed up a bit. She turned and looked at him, but now he was eyeing me.




"No worries," I said. She came to me, I didn't chase her. I very well know how brutal a crow can be, when one of their 'loved' ones may be in danger. No mercy. But we must remember, they are simply protecting out of 'love' their fledging little ones, their mates. They're not just bent on random victim's destructions. They are not the scavenging beasts they've been made out to be. I think the idea was first ingrained in our minds because of how in the old days, after a battle, with all the corpses lying about, the crows simply couldn't resist. And the people saw them devouring the decomposing flesh of their loved ones, and dubbed them "evil". Possibly...this is why poets use "murder" to describe a flock.




She cawed, and it made me jump because she had broken the silence with no warning. He cawed as well, lifting his head toward the sky... No doubt they were continuing to speak in tones and pitches that my human ears are unable to hear. They seemed to look at eachother and then, friendly, as if they knew eachother...then simultaneously looked at me again....turned, and flew off to find a roost together...




"Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words." --George Eliot

"Life is not easy f or any of us. But what of that? We must have perserverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained." --Marie Curie




1 comment:

Xunoz said...

Reminds me of the morning...birds chirping, sun rising...oh yea, its Love:)