Wednesday, October 18, 2006

All the sounds of the earth

Music- The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as though melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre. Vocal or instumental sounds posessing a decree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.
Music, music, music...everyone loves music. If they don't, then there's something seriously wrong with them. I bet it's been implanted in the minds of humans to gain pleasure from some kind of rhythm or sound since the time of Adam and Eve. It just amazes me when someone can tell me they "don't like music". I think it's physically impossible not to like it, unless these people are deaf...
Music is everything, it's fun and exciting, sad and depressing, meditative, sentimental, mesmerizing, an incentive...it's in every sound your ears take in. It's nature as well as synthetic. It can calm you, heal you, hurt you, teach you. What more can you ask for in one simple thing?
I love it when you hear a sound, beat, or song that just grips you with its riveting sonance. It's got a hold of you. It's embedded in your mind. It drives you crazy trying to find it again, and when you finally do, you just can't stop listening. I love the definition of sound; Sound- 1- Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing. 2- Transmitted vibrations of any frequency 3- The sensation stimulated in the organs of hearing by such vibrations in the air or other medium.
I've never looked it up, but it must have everything to do with phi, hey? If it is what makes something appealing then it must have something to do with it. I know that scales in music come straight from the fibonacci series...but what about sound itself?
But all in all, none of that matters. Not how or why...just the fact that it is. And thank goodness it is, because it provides the best/easiest escape from the world save death.
In my dreams/ I'll always see you soar above the sky/ And in my heart will always be a place for you, For all my life/ I'll keep a part of you with me/ And everywhere I am there you'll be.-- Faith Hill, "There You'll Be"
"If music be the food of love; play on.".......Way to be blunt, Shakespeare, way to be... :)

No comments: